Thursday, November 29, 2012

Day 73: Hot Chocolate Snowman

This hot chocolate snowman only had a picture not a tutorial. Honestly mine did not turn out as cute as the ones in the picture, but it was fun to try and with a little tweaking it would be great!
I started with 3 baby food jars.
Now, there has not been a baby in our house in about 6 1/2 years so it was definitely a flash back to buy baby food! I actually looked for something like pimientos or something else that comes in little jars so that I would have something usable. The only thing I could find was horseradish and it was more expensive than the baby food. I don't think we would have used that anyway. I ended up buying 2 regular size jars and 1 a little bit smaller for the head.
It wasn't a complete waste though because I bought apple sauce and bananas so I made Landon eat a couple of them for me.
After the jars were emptied I washed and dried them making sure they were VERY dry.
The snowmen in the picture looked like they were filled with hot chocolate mix, marshmallows, and peppermints. I decided to use red hot candies instead of peppermints.
I filled 1 of the regular size jars with hot chocolate mix, it took 3 packages. The other regular size jar I filled with marshmallows, and I put the red hots in the little jar because you don't need as many red hots as marshmallows and chocolate.

You may have to use a little rubbing alcohol to remove any of the paper that is stuck to the jars.
I set the jars aside and pulled out some felt. I cut a small circle and a larger circle and a long rectangular strip out of black for the top hat. I also cut a small strip of red and a little flower shape out of white to decorate the hat a little bit.
Using a hot glue gun, I glued the rectangle short end to short end to make a tube. Then I glued the tube on top of the larger circle and the smaller circle to top of the tube and trimmed the circles.

Next, I hot glued the red strip around the bottom of the hat and the flower on top of that.
I stacked the jars on top of each other and hot glued them, and then glued the hat on top.

Using a piece of fleece left over from another project I cut a long strip with fringe at both ends and tied it around the jars like a scarf.

Using orange paint I painted a carrot nose. With black puff paint I added eyes, mouth, and buttons.
I think that the red hots in the top jar made him look a little funny. Next time I think I will either go with the peppermints or put the red hots in the bottom jar. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment