Friday, November 16, 2012

Day 62: Christmas Yarn Wreath

I wanted to make a Christmas wreath for our door but I didn't want to spend a lot of money. So, I went searching on pintrest and found this yarn wreath. I had an old wreath that I had stashed away last year, so after digging it out this project would cost me nothing.
My original idea was to wrap the wreath in masking tape since it was an evergreen wreath and would be hard to work with. However, my house is ALWAYS tape poor so I used some crape paper that I had left over from something instead.
This worked much better than I would have thought, although if I would have wrapped it over lapping a little bit more it would have been easier to work with later.
After it was all wrapped up in crape paper I began to wrap the yarn around it. I chose 3 colors, grey, black with a sparkle, and a multi red and green.
I alternated the colors tying a knot at the beginning and the end of each color wrap.
When I got done wrapping I went looking for something to add embellishments.
This is what I came up with.
I used the black poka dot material and some stuffing to form a button of sorts by placing a small amount of stuffing in the center the material and gathering all the sides to cover it. Then I sewed the gathers in place.
 Next, I placed the fabric button in the middle of a 8x8 in. triangle of the the red fabric and gathered the sides of the red underneath making it into a flower shape. I sewed all the gathers into place and sewed the flower onto the wreath.
Then, I cut 2 strips of the grey felt and sewed 1 strip on each side of the flower. Giving the felt a rippled look.
Lastly, I cut a strip of the flowered material and sewed the edges with right sides together. I turned the strip right side out and sewing down the middle made a gather. To finish off, I sewed both ends of the strip to the edge of the wreath just under the flower.
I wish you could see it better in this picture but the lighting is really bad in here and it is dark outside. I may have to update this picture tomorrow because I am pretty proud of my wreath and you just can't see it here.
The great thing is that I could use what I had on hand! What do you have that is just waiting to be something fantastic?
 
*Here is a better pic*
 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment