Sunday, November 25, 2012

Day 69: Etched Glass Cassarole Dish

This was a little bit of a disappointment. I waited to do this project until after Black Friday because I knew I could get a good deal on some Pyrex. Sure enough there was about 3 stores that were having good sales. I ended up picking up the last box at Wal-Mart. It was 24 pieces for $20. I didn't need this much and I knew that JC Penny's was going to have a set of 18 for $15. I waited for the JC Penny's sale. Big mistake! We were at the store for the opening and began to search for the Pyrex. That was in vain because when I finally got desperate and asked an employee where they were she informed me that their store did not receive ANY of that item! Ugh! I was pretty frustrated and really had to pray that God give me a good attitude, especially since I was wearing my black Friday shirt! LOL.
I ended up going to Dollar Tree and buying some glass bowls. I purchased the etching cream at Micheal's.

The Etching cream says that it does not work on some Pyrex so maybe God was just watching out for me. To start I took some Con Tact shelf liner with the sticky back and cut out a stencil for what I wanted to etch and placed it on the bowl.

Then I covered the stencil with etching cream The instructions said to wait 60 seconds and rinse with water. I did that and the etching was almost nonexistent. So I repeated the process, this time waiting 3 minutes. Not much better. I removed the stencil and free handed the writing once again with the etching cream and waited 10 minutes. This time it turned out legible although I was upset that it was not as deep of an etching as I thought it was going to be. Sorry about the angle, this is the best I could get it to show up in a picture. It says "From the kitchen of Erin P."
It is OK, and still makes an interesting gift. I am thinking about trying again and leaving it for an hour just to see what happens. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I use Etching cream a lot. I haven't had any problems with it except the occasional "oops, I done the wrong part" kinda thing ha! I use the Silhouette Cameo to cut out my design on Vinyl. Maybe using the shelf liner is what caused it to not work right?

    ReplyDelete