Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Day 64: Eggnog Cookies

Today's project was supposed to be eggnog cookies, and even though the cookies were made it was not exactly according to recipe.
I went to the store and forgot to buy eggnog, so I had to go to another store and pick some up. I was pretty proud of myself that I found a way to guiltlessly buy eggnog. I am the only one in our house who likes to drink it so I can never justify the purchase.
When I got home I started to gather all my ingredients and realized I didn't have any butter or sugar. Who thinks you can make cookies without butter or sugar? Well, I wasn't going back to the store so I had to find a way to make due. I knew I had splenda in the cabinet and I use it to bake with all the time so I was comfortable with this choice in substitution. Now, to find something to substitute for butter. I knew that you could use apple sauce instead of butter but I don't keep that on hand. I ended up googling butter substitutions and found that you can use oil, 3/4 a cup for every cup of butter.
However, the recipe called for 3/4 cup butter... you do the math! NO, really do the math! I couldn't! Pete couldn't! We finally decided to just use 1/2 cup oil. (I know, I know, we need to get Landon a math tutor!)

 
This was a great chance to use my Mexico vanilla that was given to me by a missionary friend of mine. He actually gave it to me during our church association meeting last week. Look at the bottle - it was a hoot to try to explain to everyone walking the halls of a Baptist meeting that it was  JUST VANILLA!
 
 
After mixing up the dough the recipe said to form it into small balls because they would spread out very generously. This is where I found out what butter does that oil does not. Here is the precooked picture and the cooked picture. See a difference? Yeah me either.
 

 
Needless to say, I flattened the next batch. These little balls did taste just as good as the flattened version.
 
While the cookies were baking I made a glaze to drizzle over them.
 
 
And now I know something I didn't know yesterday!
(If you figure out that math question let me know!)
 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. My math-geek-husband says it is 56%. So a little over 1/2 a cup of oil. : )

    ReplyDelete