Sunday, November 18, 2012

Day 63: Crochet Baby Elf Hat



One of my good friends wanted to buy a baby elf hat for a little baby in her life but the site had sold out of the hats she wanted. So, she sent me the link and asked if I could make one. I took the challenge and began to search the Internet for a free pattern that was similar to what she was wanting.
At first I was searching Santa hats not realizing that the hats with long skinny tails are called elf hats. I finally found this pattern.
I made this hat to fit a 6-mo-old, about 15 in. in diameter.
The pattern calls for two different colors and is worked by dropping your yarn every so often to create stripes. Dropping your yarn is not hard so don't let this scare you. It just takes a little practice. However, I made my hat one solid color except for the rim. I used red Simply Soft for the hat and a fussy yarn for the rim and the pom pom. This was a little difficult to work with around the hat, but easier than I thought it would be. That being said, it was almost impossible to make a pom pom out of that stuff! I wasn't satisfied with how the pom pom turned out but I had tried making it 4 times and this was as good as I could get it.
I sewed the pom pom on the top and was finished.
I don't think I had ever seen an elf hat before now but they sure are cute!

*The pattern does not tell you how to make a pom pom so I used the tutorial found HERE. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment