Friday, September 21, 2012

Day 6: Bobble Beauty Crochet Hat

This was my second attempt to make my friend Cindy the hat I had been promising her for about a year. My project for the 1st day ( urban slouchy beanie) was supposed to be for her but when I finished it I decided it just wasn't good enough. So, I searched the Internet for a new pattern. Last Christmas I had made a slouchy beret for my mom that Cindy loved, but I could not find the pattern for that hat and couldn't remember what it was called or where I had found it. Typical of me. I finally found a pattern I thought would be similar (bobble beauty hat).
I started to crochet this hat on Monday and almost had it completed by Wednesday night. It was so small! I thought and thought about what I could do to make it bigger but finally decided to take it all out and start over.
Pete was watching all of this and kept telling me that he could find the pattern for the hat I had made my mom. I told him that I had looked all over the Internet and couldn't find it and that I was sure he couldn't do any better. He was on his Ipad about 10 Min's before he showed me a pattern he thought was like it. It wasn't like it... it WAS it! I was torn between being happy he found it and not wanting to eat crow.
So, here is the pattern I really used - Slouchy Beret
Cindy wanted fall colors so I chose chocolate brown, tan, and dark turquoise.
This pattern starts at the top of the hat and leaves a good size hole in the top to place the pompom at the top. I did not want to put a pompom on this hat so I used a magic loop to close the gap.

I also switched colors at the band so that I would have more contrast. This is what the hat looked like after I finished the pattern.

It was pretty plain. Time to dress it up! I made a 3D crochet flower out of the turquoise. I made this with 3 layers of petals. (only 2 are pictured)


I still wanted more detail and for the flower to really POP so I outlined the flower leaves with the 2 other colors. I used the tan on the inside and outside layers and the chocolate in the middle. It still wasn't enough so I added a wooden button to the middle of the flower and tacked it on to the side of the hat.
 
Now, it is Cindy worthy!
This project was a lot of fun and I really liked how it turned out. What crochet projects have you completed lately? I would love to see!
Oh and by the way, the pattern that I couldn't find for all that time? After Pete found it on the internet I copied it to the notes on my Ipod and remembered that is where I had left it last year. Hehe, I really need to get organized!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment