Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 3: Flower Apron

 
 
 
Today went well! For the entire morning I thought that pillar candles were my project today. It wasn't until after lunch that I looked at my list and realized that I was supposed to be making a flower apron today. If I would have realized that I could have started cutting my materials earlier in the day but no big deal.
If you want to make a flower apron like this, you will need:
5 different fat quarters*
single fold bias tape
1 metal snap
*A fat quarter is a piece of fabric that is 18x22in
 
One of the huge selling points for making gifts for Christmas is to save money!
So instead of buying fabric for this project I searched through what I already had that would be large enough to make a fat quarter. This is what I came up with-
I was pleasantly surprised to see I had so many big pieces of material. This will come in handy with other projects!
I took a long time deciding what 5 materials I wanted to include in my apron. I really liked the bright colors that were used in the tutorial but I know what kitchen this apron is going to and decided that more quaint, rustic colors would be better suited to this gift.
 
The flower apron (really called "my girlfriend's breakfast club" apron by Kimberbell Designs) was easy to make but did take up quite a bit more time then I had thought. It would take a little less time if you bought pre-cut fat quaters. They have really cute ones at Wal-Mart that are only about a dollar a piece.
I cut the fat quarters into to the mesurments required. Although I did read the pattern wrong and ended up cutting 2in off the length of the skirt but it turned out fine.
 
 
After sewing the strips together I got to use bias tape for the sides. I had never used bias tape before! I know crazy right! I fell in love with it! So much easier than hemming.


 
The tutorial is very detailed, which is great. But to sum it all up here I made a sash, and flower and attached them and voila!

 
And all I ended up buying was a snap and package of bias tape. Not to bad for a nice looking gift!
What did you do today?
Pin It

1 comment: